Sunday, December 19, 2010

Monsters coming....

Been guilty-ly lagging in my blog updates...hee....but I was "inspired" by Kim's post on the power of stories to her boy! hehe.....I didnt use a story trick but well, still a white lie to kids...oops.....subsequent to my blog post on terrible 2s, I finally succeed in getting Kae to bed every night...by using the "monster trick" (taught by a colleague to whom I've lamented to...abt kae's terrible antics at nite ;p )


I've never spoken about monsters to Kae before and so I'm not too sure if this will work..but.. no harm trying when I'm oredi at wits end and need my sleep badly! And so at night, as usual, Kae started to throw a HUGE tantrum to object me from switching off the light and began her daily routine of demanding me to carry her out of the bedroom. I looked at her with a serious face and said "no no...there's a monster outside. kae needs to zz" Just as I was bracing myself for a blank look (as I was expecting that kae may not know what a monster is), a look of real terror flashed on Kae's small lil' face and gosh, I felt SO bad!! Kae let out a small cry and I instantly hugged her and assured her that thought there's a monster outside, mummy is around and will protect her. But after a while, Kae started to point at the door and wanted to get out again. And so I continued "monster outside. mummy also very scared! Cannot go out...we need to sleep so monster will go away" and just like dat, Kae immediately laid down on the bed and hug her bloster with another word/whimper. WOW....I'm amazed. And that night, I had one of the best sleep in the longest time!
And I continued to use this trick for a few more days until Kae starts to familiarise herself again, with the nightly routine and soon, the monster faded into background and is no longer mentioned hee hee.....but still, it still takes a few more tricks to get this notty lil' gal to bed each night...tsk tsk.... We've to pretend that it's a game to get into bed each night and we'll race each other to the bedroom. I'll need to chase her and say in a very gan jiong tone "quick quick..bedtime..need to zz....hurry! run run!" and this lil' gal will happily bounce towards the bedrm and squeal in delight when she is the first one to lie on the bed =)
parenthood is a creativity game? haa =p

No comments: